It is essential to teach your kids about money. You may think that it won’t be right for you to acquaint your kids with money. But, this is a wrong conception and some amount of exposure to money can actually help your kids grow up as a responsible human being. Money is one of the most crucial things for our living other than air and water. It helps us in obtaining all those in our life that we require starting from clothing to foods. So, it is important to learn about money form a young age.
How to acquaint your kids with money
There are some real easy ways through which you can acquaint your kids with money and these are:
1. Provide them a small allowance – You can start proving your child with a small allowance on a daily, weekly or monthly basis. Calculate how much your kid needs for a day or week or maybe a month and give them an amount slightly above than what they need. Ask them to save the extra amount.
2. Take them to the bank – You can take along your kids to the bank while going there for some work. Explain to your kids the importance and the services provided by the bank in simple terms. This may help in growing some kind of interest in your kids.
3. Gift them a piggy bank – As has been discussed in the first point, you can ask your kids to start saving. Now, in order to help your kids save money gift them a piggy bank that is cute and attractive. Talk to them about the importance of saving. You can even work on this by telling them that you don’t have the money in hand to buy them a particular thing they have been wanting. You would need to get the money from the bank or your savings account. This will help your kid in understanding the importance of saving.
4. Let them count money – In order to acquaint your kids properly with money you can let your kids count money. For example, if you find out that you have some coins in hand, you can give that to your kids and ask them to count the same and tell you the exact amount that it is amounting to.
5. Ask them to make a spending plan – In addition to ask your kids to save money, you can also ask them to make a spending plan and then spend the money only according to the spending plan. This can help your kids learn budgeting from an early age. This will also help them to better understand how the money should be used.
So, you can see that a little allowance and all of the above discussed ideas can help you in teaching your kids about money without over exposing them. This can actually help your children learn the actual value of money.